Thursday, October 30, 2008

THE DOOR.

"You've hurt me more than anyone else in the world.

Don't ever call me again. Delete my number.

Delete all my mails. Don't ever inquire about me."

Her words were soft ... shaky.

On the other end of the phone, he didn't say anything.
He didn't feel anything.

"Goodbye," She said a little shakier than before.

It was noon.

He said nothing.

There was no drama. No graphic ending to a friendship he'd fought to keep.

No crescendos. No crashes. No quick flashes of happier times.

The day went by like any other.

Somewhere around midnight he heard a distant voice.

Something inside stirred.

"You've hurt me more than anyone else in the world"

Straining for strength, his spirit shuffled to its knees and crawled.

"Don't ever call me again"

Over to a heavy door.

"Delete my number"

He leaned against it ... it groaned as it shut.

"Delete all my mails."

On Auto-pilot, his hands turned a rusty key.

"Don't ever inquire about me."

Exhausted, he slumped his back against the door he'd cautiously opened, after a long, self-imposed imprisonment.

It was locked again.

Curling up in the comfort of a fetal position, he slowly began to bleed.

"Goodbye."

6 comments:

whatmark said...

My first attempt at a short story

ckk said...

pls dont put such sad n painful stuff.... we already live in a painful world... can we have some happy short stories... plSSSSSSSSSs

Sudhir Pai said...

super!

Unknown said...

beautifully heartbreaking... glup! i see a tragic love story writer? :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

WOW

Bravo! Can't wait to read some more 'heartbreak' on your blog.